Monday, October 18, 2010

New GAP logo fails to impress

Last week Gap tried to launch a new logo for their company, replacing their 20 year old logo of a blue box containing the word Gap in an all-cap serif font, with a logo that incorporated the blue box in a different way.  The new logo had the word Gap written in a sans-serif font, no longer in all caps, with the blue box sitting just above and behind the lowercase p.  I suppose it was a design meant to be modern and fresh, but the design was quickly changed back to their original after the negative response it received on social networking sites.  I found it interesting how strong the reaction against this change received.  In the article I read on CNNMoney.com, the article stated that one person wrote how they would no longer be shopping at Gap because of the new logo change.  I wondered why a change in the logo would incite such a strong response.  The clothes aren’t changing, just the logo, so why threaten to stop shopping there? To me it shows the impact a brand’s image has, the old logo says classic, and I believe that it’s very classic style is a big part of Gap’s general appeal.  Personally I also prefer the old logo which I see as a very clean, classic image, while the new one just felt BORING!