Monday, November 8, 2010

The Cartoon Art Museum: Storytime! Graphic Novels for Kids of All Ages

A few weekends ago I visited the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, and looked through the current exhibitions there, including one called Storytime! Graphic Novels for Kids of All Ages.  I really liked this exhibition because for many of the comics being exhibited they showed the process of creating that comic.  From initial sketches to the addition of text, I found the layout of seeing these comics, some of which I recognized as from the newspaper or as cartoons from my childhood and others I was completely unfamiliar with, very interesting.  I liked seeing the comics take form before my eyes, and seeing the creative processes of the different artists there.  The exhibit also included some animated films, such as the Disney films, and gave insight into some of the techniques used for some scenes and the development of certain characters.  Other parts of the exhibition showed cartoons from various past eras with descriptions of the time period during which they were made.  I found this also very interesting as it made me look at each cartoon differently and gave me a better understanding and appreciation of the way that the time in which a work of art is made affects that image.  I really enjoyed this exhibited and being able to see the creative processes and inspirations behind some of the cartoons I recognized from my childhood and the newspaper, and learning more about others that was had previously been unfamiliar with.